09 March 2010

Things

I have found that I love taking photos of people. I love capturing the voice they use through visual expression and the beauty within each one. But here’s the catch … people are not always available for me to photograph and I haven’t quite built up the courage necessary to start asking people I see if I may indeed capture them with my lens, so my options are limited.


Ana gave me a special attachment for my lens that will allow me to take photos of people without them actually knowing it. It’s a bit voyeuristic but pretty cool and I would never take anything that might be deemed offensive or inappropriate – basically nothing that I wouldn’t be fine having the subject see. I haven’t had the courage to take it out on my own but Ana and I are hoping to do a full shoot of her this coming Saturday and I might bring it along to play a little. It’ll be a great day regardless – just getting to take photos of my beautiful daughter makes my heart sing!


But I live alone and I don't have people that I can photograph during my days. I’m finding it difficult to feel the same pull to taking photos of “things” that I have towards taking photos of faces. But I love taking photos and I want to improve my skills and in order to do that I need to practice and learn from what I see regardless of what that may be. Smith Kaich Jones wrote the following within a poem on her blog, emma tree, today:


My photographic vision is changing

I feel it when I hold the camera to my eye

and see a painting


She speaks my desire and while I am far from being able to say that my photographic vision has changed, her words give me something to aim for and a way to change the "thing" that I see into the art that it is through my lens. I am not much of a painter but I am an artist and the camera is my brush and canvas and by using my tools to interpret the world around me, I am actively changing my vision and that is good - very good.

2 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

You are pure inspiration to me, Linda, in these words. And look at that face you captured here! No wonder she makes your heart sing!!

bambam40 said...

Ya know, I'll pose for you anytime you want! :-) 43-